3.26.2007

Good riddance, Theismann; Jaworski exactly what MNF team needs

Longtime readers might remember midway through last season I lamented the new Monday Night Football team of Mike Tirico, Tony Kornheiser and Joe Theismann:

My main issue is with Theismann. His egomaniacal style fit pretty well in ESPN's old Sunday night crew with Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire, mostly because I think he viewed Maguire -- anothe former football player -- as a worthy adversary. ... Theismann seems intimidated by Kornheiser's eloquence and quick wit from time to time, and has a propensity to repeat himself over and over and over again.
My solution, way back in September?
What this crew really needs is a hardcore X's and O's guy, somebody who seems comfortable enough with himself to let Kornheiser do what he was hired to do and who doesn't seem to constantly feel the need to assert his manhood.
Apparently, ESPN agreed, removing Theismann from the team and adding Ron Jaworski, about the most harcore X and O guy the four-letter network's got. Don't believe me? Listen to Jaworski himself:
"I'm an 'Xs-and-Os' guy. I love breaking down the game. I love the strategy of the game," Jaworski said in a conference call. "That's the beauty of what I will bring to the table is that insight of 'Xs and Os.'"
Jaworski will be an excellent fit in that booth. He's got a great sense of humor, he's completely unassuming -- unlike the self-absorbed Theismann -- and he already has a strong rapport with Kornheiser, which is evident to anyone who has watched Jaworski appear on Kornheiser's regular TV gig, "Pardon The Interruption."

I think this is a team that really has some promise, and I'm excited to see what it can do.

No comments: